Thursday, November 20, 2008

Watchmen Movie Trailer

I saw the new Watchmen trailer today, and it looks like this is the trailer that may be trying to attract people who aren’t already Watchmen fans (much like the new Star Trek trailer). The movie as a whole looks very promising IMO, though this trailer does appear to be much like most other superhero movie trailers. It’s an eye candy trailer, but it seems the hardcore comix fans are lukewarm to it and it’s taken the sheen off the apple for them.

Why? It seems like the filmmakers have changed the name of the super-team from The Minutemen to The Watchmen, which really is lame, but in 2008 I think the average moviegoer hearing the word “minutemen” is more likely to think of premature ejaculation than the Revolutionary War, so that might have something to do with it.

That said, I hope this is one of those things where the trailer is different from the final cut and they ‘fix’ it. But if they don’t, it’s not going to ruin it for me. We, as fans, need to allow certain latitudes for these translations to the screen, I think.

I’ve also read fan grumblings that Rorschach’s voice isn’t monotone enough, and that it’s lame that he has generic bad-ass gravely voice. I can’t get behind that. I mean, it’s not like his voice is super expressive, it’s still pretty flat and emotionless. Do you really want him to sound like a 1970s TV robot? [SPOILER ALERT, HIGHLIGHT TO READ] I think it will be cool if when he’s unmasked, if his voice is totally different, it would be a way to demonstrate his insanity and his character arc as he (mentally) transforms from Kovacs into Rorschach.

From what I’ve been able to glean of the plot so far, if the “alien” squid monster Ozymandias creates in the book is NOT in the movie, then what destroys New York, setting off the climax*? Does Ozy convince Dr. Manhattan to blow it up? How do they sell that to the public? The crux of Ozy’s plan was to convince the public that aliens had invaded, and we, as earthlings, need to set aside our differences to deal with this alien menace. World peace ensues (until the truth comes out). So without the fake alien, how will they do this? So that’s a major plot change.

* to me, the real Climax is when the newspaper prints Rorschach’s notes describing how the Alien is a hoax and presumably, this leads to an end in the fragile peace, and presumably, nuclear holocaust ensues for all. I could be wrong I guess, but for me, that’s the climax because Ozy’s plan was working until then.

But anyway, I’m still psyched about the movie. Maybe I’m easily amused. Hey, it’s cheaper this way.
Final thought: Just like when I first read the book in college, I still think the line, “The world will look up and shout, ‘save us,’ and I will whisper ‘no’.” is totally badass and really cool in general (again, easily amused). I think it could take a place on one of those Top 10 (or 100) Cool Movie Lines Ever lists.

BTW: If you don’t have it already, buy the book! NOW! You’ll thank me later.

No comments:

Post a Comment